Camiguin is a volcanic island and so there will always be hot springs. But this one is different.. a cold spring! Hot springs are concentrated at the east side of Camiguin while at the opposite side, the west side are filled with cold springs. One of them is Sto Niño Cold Spring that can be found at Sagay Town and is about 2.5 kilometers from the main road.
The Sto Niño Cold Spring is a natural cold spring that flows down from Mt. Mambajao and is filtered by layers of minerals from the mountain, therefore it is clean. The temperature is naturally maintained from 20-25 degrees celsius.
|Naturally flowing water from Mt. Mambajao that fills up the cold springs|
with cool and clean water.
Entrance to the cold springs is P20.00 per person and cottage rental is P50.00
|Viewing the cold spring from the cottage|
"Paluto" or food to be cooked is available outside the entrance gate and is sold by kilogram. A kilogram of meat costs P450, chicken for P250 and fish for P350. They only cook Filipino dishes. As soon as they are cooked, they will deliver it to you at the cottage complete with utensils.
The cold spring is natural that even small fishes will swim with you or probably massage your feet while you relax under this cold water. Talk about free service by nature ;)
|Small fishes under the cold springs|
We were able to check out Sto. Niño Cold Spring using a rented motorcycle for P500/day. Other tours will allow you visit it using a multicab. The rentals are available just right outside the Benoni port
For more information you can contact the following people who helped us out for our Camiguin Road trip.
Sauro (for tours) - +63 927 2751086
Jonel (for motorcycle rental) - +63 927 6307606
The data gathered in this Camiguin Roadtrip has been contributed to the +OpenStreetMap Philippines project for free use of travelers who plan to roam around Camiguin with GPS assistance.
Openstreetmap Philippines Map (link)
Schadow1 Expeditions Contributions (link)
How to use for your Navigation System (link)
For a more detailed account of Schadow1 Expeditions on its 4- day Camiguin Adventure and Mapping Expedition, check on the links below:
- Camiguin Island Roadtrip - discovering the best of Camiguin for four days
- Conquering Hibok-Hibok Volcano 1337 MASL
- Mt. Vulcan Trail 580 MASL
- White Island - A majestic solitary sandbar at Camiguin
- Gui-ob Church Ruins - a reminder of Mt. Vulcan's Eruptive Past
- Sunken Cemetery, a cemetery turned coral reef
- Katibawasan Falls, grandeur with the waterfall flowing from Mt. Campana
- Ostrich Farm, Camiguin - the only ostrich facility in the Philippines
- Sto. Niño Cold Springs, Camiguin
- Ardent Hot Springs - relaxing dip after an H2 Traverse
- Paguia Cottages, a budget resort with big hotel-type rooms